Plastic Recycling is little understood by the general population for this reason there is lot of misleading information out there about what actually can and cannot be recycled. We are plastic recyclers and this admittedly is a plug for our new product THE BETTER BAG a unique reusable grocery bag. First of all, most municipal recycling programs do not accept any kind of reusable bags for recycling consequently the recycling symbol printed on the tags of most of these bags is essentially meaningless. Reusable bags put into your home recycling will most likely be culled out and thrown away. Secondly, plastics need to be virtually 100% pure to be recycled by ordinary plastic recycling methods. Plastics that are impure are called contaminated or commingled
We've purchased a large number of reusable bags being sold at supermarkets, office supply stores and other retail outlets. Many of them bear a tag that says that they are 100% pure. When we tested most of these bags, we found that the threads or the handles or the bottom stiffeners used in making these bags are often made from a different material than the bag fabric itself. This renders these bags as commingled and in our opinion not recyclable. A famous grocery chain promotes bags that are made from 80% recycled soda bottles, what they don't understand is that the other 20% of the bag is another foreign material and that the mixture of these materials creates a commingled product. Sure, using any reusable bag beats using a one time disposable paper or plastic bag but why use a bag that will eventually end up as solid waste when you can use a bag that can be recycled over and over again?
THE BETTER BAG is a triple play. It's made with recycled material. It's incredibly sturdy and it's the only reusable bag that's guaranteed recyclable. We can offer this guaranty because we recycle it! Please visit our website:
http://WWW.THEBETTERBAG.COM to learn more. Csiplastics 15:58, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
One reusable bag can save 6 disposable bags
6 bags can save 21/2,500 trees, over 84/5 pounds of CO2, 279,720/17 btus of energy, 84/25 gallons of H2O, 259/1,870 pounds of Al, 63/125 pounds of air pollution per year, gain almost 273/125 pounds of O per year
2 reusable bags instead of 4 disposable bags can save 200 disposable bags
200 bags would save 7/25 trees